Surely when you hear about real-time marketing you think they refer to the development of updated and constant marketing strategies. However, real-time marketing goes much further. It is an adaptation of marketing to current times in which new technologies predominate and, therefore, new spaces for interaction with customers arise.
Technology offers the necessary tools to process and interpret data and thereby get to know users. In this way we can anticipate their wishes and intentions.
What is real-time marketing ?
Real time marketing is marketing aimed at users 2.0. They are marketing actions in which a relevant event or news is linked to an advertising message to take advantage of its virality. Its main goal is to create lasting brand memories whose impact achieves better brand positioning and reputation in the media.
Its most common means of development are social networks , in which a dynamic of interaction with consumers is generated through comments, replying to tweets or emails.
Social networks have proven to be an ideal space for brands to approach customers in an interactive and retroactive way. Therefore, one of the most important elements of real-time marketing is reaction time . A key factor for the success of current marketing strategies . The repercussion or influence of the message can vary in a matter of seconds .
Real-time marketing actions are not usually planned as far in advance as in traditional marketing . Therefore they require great flexibility and very fast decision making .
Continuous attention to customers becomes paramount. For real time marketing actions to succeed , you must be able to react immediately to any user problem. These must become the center of the business.
In this way, it will be possible to create quality and more personalized communication strategies that will provide more satisfactory and lasting user experiences.
How does real-time marketing work ?
Real time marketing is marketing adapted to the immediacy that dominates today's society. It is developed in the social networks that users access through their mobile devices.
It is based on creating creative and surprising messages at the right time . To do this, a specific situation is used that facilitates or favors the viralization of the message.
It was born from the need to impact consumers and thereby create emotional ties with the brand. That is why it is very useful to link a strategy to a topic of interest to capture their attention. Certain special events or shocking news can become a perfect thread.
The goal of any real time marketing strategy is to make the content go viral . For this reason, it is key to create original content that impacts the recipients of the message, and of course do it very quickly.
Although they can be developed perfectly in all social networks, Twitter is the preferred platform of brands for this type of marketing because millions of conversations take place in real time.
Advantages of real-time marketing
Real -time marketing is a very effective tool to promote the relationship and interaction with users . Manage strategies that encourage the transmission of personalized messages that increase brand recognition and the creation of significant leads .
Real time marketing campaigns have clear advantages over traditional marketing advertising strategies , since:
- They offer a more current and flexible image.
- They launch messages more adapted to the moment and to the taste of the users.
- They offer the possibility of conceiving communications with a strong surprise factor that capture greater attention from consumers.
- They allow an easy viralization of the content.
- They give rise to an amplification of the messages through word of mouth among the leads .
Successful examples of real-time marketing
The Oreo cookie brand is a pioneer in the use of real-time marketing techniques. It celebrated its centenary with the Daily Twist campaign , in which it developed continuous communication strategies for 100 days dealing with current and public interest issues, such as gay pride or the arrival of man on Mars. These actions led to increased interaction with consumers on social networks and increased social recognition of the brand.
The mythical example of marketing in real time is the tweet that the brand launched after a blackout during the 2013 Super Bowl that was retweeted more than 150,000 times, generating thousands of followers.
In addition, on social networks they have been able to channel the attention of users towards the brand through original debates in which, for example, they ask if the cookie or the cream is better.
Many brands develop similar strategies through actions that surprise users or consumers in direct relation to news of the moment that goes viral. A perfect way to connect with millions of users.
In 2016, the airline Norwegian Airlines took advantage of the news of the divorce of Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie to develop a highly successful campaign that made its flights to the United States go viral. A campaign that also led to traditional media such as the written press.
Rexona is another of the brands that have known how to take advantage of the advantages of real time marketing. When Whatsapp unveiled the acknowledgment popcorn, Rexona quickly took advantage of the impact of the news and, relying on the resemblance of its logo to the blue checkmarks of the application, launched a campaign on Facebook and Twitter with the phrase: «While they ignore you, Rexona does not abandon you». A clear example of how to use breaking news as a springboard for our advertising campaign. A technique that within the real- time marketing world is called newsjacking .
Tips for developing real-time marketing strategies
To implement real-time marketing tactics, the immediacy of the action is very important. For this it is decisive:
- Keep you informed about the important events that will take place and that can be the hook of your strategy. Social networks will tell you which are the most influential among users. The event does not have to be related to your brand. The important thing is to find the relationship between the message and what the brand intends to convey based on what users are looking for . One option that works is to relate them through humor or irony.
- Monitor conversations . This way you will know the topics of interest and you will be able to adapt and personalize your actions. It is the perfect way to identify the influencers that best suit your brand and that can help make your content go viral. Plus, you'll be able to spot trends early and be ready to react quickly when the occasion arises.
- Keep your work team on alert , ready to work when the right opportunity arises. It is a job that requires the work of a good graphic designer, a community manager and a copywriter .
- Select the ideal time to launch your campaign . It is essential to ensure its success and that it does not go unnoticed. To do this, decide in advance the social network in which you will develop the campaign and the techniques you will use. Adapt the content to the selected platform and its users.
- Create creative content that is interesting and that unifies the interest of your target audience, always maintaining your identity as a brand. Once you launch the campaign, it is very important that you monitor its results by participating in user conversations. This will allow you to optimize its impact.
Real time marketing has a greater number of followers every day among those who bet on the power of new technologies and social networks as a space for interaction. However, its influence on other traditional marketing techniques can already be discovered. For example, we see it in the proliferation of satisfaction surveys while products are being consumed, the growing personalization of advertising and products, the modification of prices at certain times of the day and pop up stores .
The key to real-time marketing success is being able to identify, understand, and respond to users very quickly. In a very creative way, it is about taking advantage of the context and turning it into one more tool so that the brand can spread its message to the greatest number of people.
Reality imposes innovation to succeed. New technologies put at your fingertips incredible tools to develop successful real-time marketing strategies , such as voice marketing , conversational interfaces provided by artificial intelligence, and consumer cognitive and emotional monitoring through CRM or CDP systems.
Real-time marketing is expected to move at breakneck speed towards ultra-personalization of interactive and predictive messages that will reach the consumer at the right place and at the right time.
Top comments (0)