Hello! Product testing is very important in building your small online store or selling from one page sites like I do. It allows you to assess the demand for a product and avoid buying a product that you can’t sell later. Below I will describe how I test products so that you can apply the technique.
I am often asked: “Why test a product at all, because many people sell it, they won’t advertise the product at a loss ?!”, “If someone advertises, then the product works”, etc.
But here you need to understand that many of those who advertise the product you have chosen can have a high lead price and earn a penny from the sale or are also at the time of testing the product, so I recommend that you definitely test the demand for the product, on your own, in "combat" conditions .
- A free test of a product implies advertising of a product (s) on various bulletin boards, groups of flea markets in VK, spam, etc. I used to use this method, now I don't. I refused it for a simple reason, those who buy on the sites and on the above sites are completely different audiences, plus Avito has the strongest dumping. You will not be able to sell goods there at the price you planned, precisely because of dumping. People on Avito tend to buy what is cheaper. On the landing page, you can use various chips, thanks to which the client will buy from you, even if the price tag on the site is higher than that of competitors.
- Paid. Everything is simple here, make a website, launch an advertising campaign and see the return. This method is more adequate, since it allows you to assess the demand for goods in real conditions.
Since I prefer to use the second option, I will tell you how I test products in this way.
After you have chosen a product for the test, you need to make a website. You can either make the site yourself (which takes a long time, and you can’t spend too much time on the test) or copy a competitor’s site (yes, this is bad, but we only copy for the test). How I approach choosing a site to copy:
- First, I decide where I will test the product. Let's say this is Yandex Direct .
- I look at the sites of competitors in the issuance of Google, select the ones I like, I look at the presence of these sites in the issuance of Yandex.
- The site that is missing or very rare in Yandex issuance, I choose to copy.
I myself do not know how to copy sites, and I do not need it. It is much faster and easier to pay 500 rubles to a person who can quickly complete this work. You can find this person on any freelance exchange (for example Workzila ). In my course , I give contacts of all the necessary people whose services I use myself.
The main thing is that after a person copies the site for you, check all contact forms so that orders come to your mail. Also, if necessary, ask to make certain adjustments on the site (replace the phone number, address, etc.). Don't forget to pre- register your domain and hosting .
Move on! After the site is ready, I set up an advertising campaign. Usually I take the hottest requests (I just copy the first 2-3 pages of the Wordstat issue and remove non-targeted requests), write ads for them and launch them. I spend from 1000 to 3000 thousand rubles for the test, depending on the product. I don’t analyze the campaign, I don’t do anything with it. I just put high stakes and see how it will work.
After you have spent a certain amount, see how many orders you have received.
I usually buy a product if, during the test, I received leads at a cost 2-3 times higher than the one I planned.
I start from the fact that even if the copied site without introducing its own chips, with a simple advertising campaign, with 1 traffic source, managed to achieve such a price. Then with a “full arsenal”, the cost of a lead can be easily reduced, and the number of leads can be increased significantly.
I usually treat such clients as test clients. They played their role, I assessed the demand for goods. In most cases, I try to close such clients for pre-order, and if there is someone I can sell them to, then I sell them (this way I can recoup some of the costs of the test). I often share leads with my course participants who sell this product.
That's all. After the test, I immediately buy the product, and while it is on the way, I am already making my website and full-fledged advertising.
I will not shine successful tests, because people love to lick, and not think with their own heads. Therefore, I will show one of the last unsuccessful tests, this is a slimming bodysuit.
The following site was chosen:
I tested the product in Google Adwords , the following keywords were involved:
I launched the ad with a broad match modifier in order to immediately discard the left queries, for which Google can show ads.
As a result: Spent around 1000 rubles, there was little daily traffic, so I did not continue to spend money, but simply launched another product. It is quite possible that this offer would have taken off if it was allowed to advertise it through YAN . But since this is a product test, and search traffic is many times hotter, it should accordingly show a good conversion, but this did not happen. That's all.