If you have a website or blog, having a good search engine optimization strategy (SEO) is essential for the success of your project. And within that strategy, there is nothing more fundamental than knowing the position of your website in Google or any other search engine .
In this article we will see the different ways and types of tools to check the position of your website in search engines such as Google, Yahoo or Bing.
After you know the most common mistakes when it comes to seeing your web positioning in Google, the most extensive list of networks with online tools, software to download and mobile applications most used by professionals awaits you.
Before showing you the list of tools to know the ranking or position of a website in Google, you should know that searching for your page directly in Google to see the position it occupies is not a viable option.
Here are 2 important tips to keep in mind:
Google will always show us personalized results based on numerous factors such as:
- Our past search history
- Our contacts in the social network Google +
- Our location or device from which we perform the search
- many other factors
As they say that an image is worth a thousand words, if you look at the following photo, you will see that for the keyword “madrid web positioning”, a result of a publication that I have shared on Google Plus appears.
This happens because Google understands that it can be useful to me, but no other user will see that result when performing the same search since it only shows it to me if I am registered with my Google + account.
It is for this reason that we need tools or tricks to get to know the position that my website occupies in Google in the most objective way possible without taking into account any of these customizations.
As we have seen, one of the most common mistakes when it comes to knowing the Google position of a blog or web page is to search directly on Google as we usually do.
The other most common mistake that leads to deception is to search for the position in Google of terms or keywords that nobody searches to find the information or services that you offer.
For this, you should avoid searching for your position in google, for exact brand names or combinations that only you know.
Keep in mind that the idea of being well positioned in Google is to get new customers, and not just to be found by those who already know you.
Our main objective should be to be well positioned for generic words or phrases that people search for when they need what you offer.
In my case, for example, I am interested in being positioned for "web designer Madrid" and not for "Danyel Perales" , since no one will search for my name when they need these services, unless they already know me before.
Almost certainly, you will always have the first position in Google for your brand or product name, since there is no competition for that search, but unless you are a well-known brand, this will hardly bring you visitors to your website.
Due to the importance of knowing the positions that our online projects occupy in search engines such as Google, there are a wide variety of tools that make it easier for us to check the positioning of our web pages.
If you are serious about SEO or the positioning of your website in Google, without a doubt, having at least one of the following tools to know what position your website occupies in search engines is essential.
RANKbox is a Spanish tool that is part of the SEOBOX suite of tools. Among its outstanding features we have something that makes it different from the others:
· Geolocation of positions from real locations by cities in Spain and Mexico
· Tagging of keywords for filtering
Custom visibility indexes by keywords and competitors
Annotations by Keyword/URL, Project or general
· Sending of automatic personalized reports and interactive panel for clients with white label option for Advanced and AGENCY accounts.
In addition, as a complement, it has its sister KEYWORDbox from which to analyze keywords and associate them with projects that we have in RANKBox for direct monitoring.
Are you wanting to know more?
Do you really want to know why I choose this option as the best today to know the position of your website in Google?
Don't miss the following video:
SEMrush is a great Growth Hacking, SEO and content marketing tool to know and improve the rankings of your website's position in Google, which is focused on any project with an internet presence.
To access this information you just have to enter the tool's control panel, and once inside, press "positions".
You will access a screen like this:
By default you will see that the information is ordered by the percentage of traffic that each keyword brings to your site, but you can order it based on the positions that these keywords occupy in the SERPs in order to study their evolution.
The only disadvantage of this tool is that it does not take into account a large number of long tail keywords for which it may not make sense to optimize your site but which nevertheless end up bringing you quite considerable traffic in the long run.
On the other hand, it has great features and advantages such as detailed reports of traffic to your site, the positioning of the competition, links, related keywords or the number of searches for them.
Summarizing a bit, these are the main advantages of Semrush:
With these tools you will know the evolution of the rankings of your web page in google.
It is important to know that once you create a project you must be clear about the keywords that will be used and what you want to follow to control the positioning in the search rankings, likewise it allows you to be able to detail if the competitors are making use of the keywords. same keywords and determine if you see improvement compared to them.
Basically, this function allows you to generate a comparison between domains (including organic search) to check the different keywords for which each one is positioning their website, as well as the different positions they occupy in Google.
In this menu item you can check the difficulty to position several keywords in organic and the trend in the last year.
Ahrefs is a tool specialized in monitoring incoming links, with great precision and speed.
UPDATE: Recently Ahrefs has completely revamped their tool for checking web positions on Google and they have created what they believe is the best tool on the market to find out the rankings of your website.
Ahrefs will allow us to know the links that have been created towards our domain or that of the competition in order to surpass them in the search results.
- Data on the evolution of your link building and web positioning strategy
- Links to internal pages or landings, to know the volume of links to a specific page
- Metrics of the tool to assess domain authority (Domain Rating DR / URL Rating UR )
- Anchor Text Percentages
- Calendar of links and domains that point to our site, where the links in blue represent the links that are being created and the orange ones, those that are being lost
- Shows information about Social Signals allows to export the data in CSV format
- Allows you to compare a maximum of 5 URLs at a time.
- Its index is updated very often, and it is one of the largest.
This tool, in my opinion, only has one “but”. The problem is that it is a very important but.
- The price of this tool is quite high, especially if you do not make a living positioning websites or your project does not yet generate enough income.
- It is clear that to earn money you have to invest, but it is also true that I do not think that Ahrefs is for everyone.
- Visit the website of this tool, sign up for the 14-day free trial and decide for yourself.
Within the main functions of Sistrix, we have the option of knowing everything related to the keywords that you are using on your website.
- website position
- Traffic volume (visits)
- Other metrics
In addition, when selecting a website to analyze, this tool gives you different summaries of important data for the positioning of your website in Google.
Through graphics and synthesis, this tool allows you to know how your website is working in relation to the changes and modifications that are being applied to it and therefore improve your web position in search engines.
GoKoOM is the latest Rank Tracker to hit the market and it has some added functionality that can help you a lot in your day to day life.
It has a free trial version for 10 days and then it goes to a paid version.
The most notable features are:
- Trace each Keyword up to position 200 (normally up to 100)
- Automatically compare your url with those of your competition at the SEO Onpage level: headers, text sizes, titles, descriptions...
- Analyze the most important rankings of your website and compare them with the ones that rank the best: DA, Alexa, PageSpeed, Backlink Number...
- Find errors in your SEO OnPage in what they call SEO TASKS. They are very useful in the face of the oversights that all SEOs sometimes commit. For example, it informs you that the Meta Description is empty, Duplicate Titles, etc. For each error, it generates an SEO Task so that you can correct it on your website.
- Words of Opportunity. Discover words that your competition is using in their texts and you are not. In this way, it can semantically expand your text, which will help you to improve in the SERPs. Density graph. Compare the density of each word in your text with your competition, so you can easily see if you are over-optimizing a word or if, on the contrary, you should include it more times. In addition to all this, GoKoOM has a nice and clear environment that offers beautiful and easy to understand graphics.
Incognito mode is a feature that can be found in almost all modern web browsers, both for desktop operating systems and mobile versions.
One point you should keep in mind when using private incognito browsing in browsers is that the addresses of the web pages you visit will not be saved in your history, so you should write down their names if you want to be able to return more afternoon.
To use the incognito mode of your browser and thus be able to see the real position that your website occupies in search engines, you must locate the configuration tab of the browser of your choice and open a new private window (the name may vary depending on the browser you use) .
So that there is no doubt, here is a video of Online Studio.
It's a bit old, but the part about how to use private browsing to find out the position of a website in Google is totally valid today:
How to know the position of my website in Google 2017 – Online Studio
This method to know the position of a website is very simple to use and practical once it is known, but it has some disadvantages:
You have to look for the positioning of the keywords one by one
If your website does not appear in the first positions, it may take a while to find it
No record of the progress (increase or decrease) of your website's positions in Google is kept.
If you want to know how to know the position in Google of your web pages in a more professional, simple and fast way, do not miss the following list of tools.
With the free plan you can see your position in Google for 2 different URLs having access to a maximum of 20 different keyword combinations . With this plan you can also access the applications that Pro Rank Tracker has for the iOS and Android operating systems, so you can view your rankings anywhere through your SmartPhone.
Of course, its paid version is much more complete and allows access to enter many more keywords, the possibility of downloading PDF reports, as well as having the mobile app.
However, if you start with a single small website or if you want to monitor some very specific keywords , the free option will be enough for you to start and is a good alternative.
Again, another tool with a free trial period, but which becomes paid once it is over is SerpBook.
Serpbook is a magnificent tool that highlights the fact that you can choose the country in which you want to position yourself, and apart from your position in Google, it also offers you information on other search engines such as Yahoo and Bing
SerpLab is one of my favorite free tools for doing quick checks on a handful of keywords.
SerPlab is a free tool that includes two usage options for checking the position in Google, by registering with it or without prior registration.
If you register, you will be able to keep track of several different URLs automatically and with the data available for two months.
Its use without registration, allows you to check the position of your website in Google for up to 10 keywords, and contrast that position with up to 5 competitors just by entering the keywords and URLs of your competition.
The truth is that it is worth registering, since, if it is not done, manual searches require the deletion of cookies from your browser or use it in incognito mode for greater precision.
With this application you have the opportunity to take a free trial before paying for it. This is perhaps one of the most complete tools to know the position in Google of your web page, although this is not exactly the star function of this tool.
With Long Tail Pro you can check not only the position of my website, but also that you can search for different market niches and analyze your competition.
These functions are really useful to know how your competitors are positioned and how they are making it possible.
These are the main utilities of Long Tail Pro:
- Difficulty to position each keyword in Google
- Custom difficulty goals for keywords in your niche
- Determine domain metrics based on information from Majestic (another SEO tool)
- Calculate Profitability of keywords in Adsense, Amazon or sale of your own product
- Allows you to export any list and its metrics
- Real-time keyword filtering by CPC, local searches, advertiser competition, word count, and keyword competitiveness.
- Allows you to import Google Adword data to extract competitiveness, CPC, number of monthly searches, etc. for keyword positioning
I'm a big fan of the SEO tools offered by Mangools , as they work quite well and have a pretty well-crafted user interface.
SERPWatcher is a tool that allows you to track the positions that keywords from various domains occupy in Google.
A very useful functionality is that you can adjust the check for the position of keywords in Google according to the geographical position and the device that interests us the most.
This tool allows you to track 3 keywords for free each day and of course we have the option to increase that number if we subscribe to a paid plan.
The price is one of the most reasonable on the market and they have some joint plans with their other tools (KWFinder and SERPChecker).
Google Rank Checker is an excellent free online tool that tracks the ranking of keywords in Google search results.
It is a very easy service to use, just enter the keyword you want to search for along with the domain name and it will show you the position that particular keyword occupies in Google.
The next tool to know how your keywords are ranking in Google or Yahoo is SERPs Keyword Rank Checker.
In addition to the ranking of your website in search engines, it also shows data on CPC ( cost per click ) and search volume for each keyword or long tail ( set of keywords that form a longer phrase ).
As if this were not enough, it also allows us to select the location and the mobile device for which we are most interested in appearing in search engines.
UPDATED: This tool has stopped working.
SEOCentro is one of the best keyword checking tools I have come across so far.
With the SEOCentro Rank Checker tool you will know the performance of your keywords in multiple search engines such as Google, Yahoo, Bing, etc. The result will detail everything about the chosen keyword, including its ranking in different search engines and a history of the keyword.
SE ranking is a free online tool hosted in the cloud that allows, among many other things, to know the web position that your online project occupies in search engines.
This tool is of great help to SEOs and online marketing professionals.
These are some of its features:
- Competitor analysis
- Automated professional reports
- Full site audit
- Monitoring of backlinks (links to your website)
- Google website position
- Keyword suggestion and grouping
As if this were not enough, this tool has additional plans (White Label and Marketing Plan) that can be really useful for your project.
Rank Tank is a free tool that, once configured, generates an Excel in Google Docs for the url or domain you choose with the position of the keywords that interest you most in Google.
This tool provides us with the following information:
- What meta title do our pages have?
- With what meta description do they appear?
- Ranking (current position in Google)
- Who ranks below you?
- Who ranks above you?
- Who ranks first?
- MSV: monthly searches (Requires combination with Semrush)
- URL that ranks
Allorank is another free online tool to know the position of my website in Google.
In this case, it requires registration and has a somewhat limited free plan, but if you are just starting out, it can help you.
To test it, just enter your website domain, the keywords for which you want to know the ranking of your website in Google and Allorank will monitor for you the evolution of the positions of your website for those search terms.
This is a tool to know the position of my website anywhere and with the help of an Apple mobile device. You can download it completely free from the App Store (although it has some paid features).
Among its main advantages are:
- Shows the number of backlinks that the domain has according to its database
- It allows you to activate an automatic update and mark a delay so that, if there are many words, Google does not believe that you are a robot when checking the rankings of your web page.
- Check the positions of up to five keywords per project and calculate an average of all of them
- In the payment option you have unlimited projects and keywords and it also makes it easy for you to upload all the results and together with a space in the cloud to be able to save all the data
If you use an Android mobile, you can control the rankings that the keywords of your web page occupy in Google.
This tool to measure web position has the following characteristics:
- It is free although it has a PRO version that offers you a series of additional advantages, such as, for example, updating daily positions automatically
- In both the free and PRO versions we can do unlimited tracking of keywords and domains
- SERP Mojo for Android offers us a graph in which we can see the position history of a keyword in Google, which is of vital importance to be able to be clear about the moments of rise or fall that the rankings of our web page may have had.
SEO Serp Instant Rank Checker is a Chrome browser compatible extension.
With it you can check the position of your website in Google by simply entering the URL of the site and the keywords you want to position.
This tool is very easy to access, since it is located directly in your browser bar, but I cannot say that it is one of the most reliable in terms of its results.
Extension with features similar to SEO SERP but for the Firefox browser. This tool gives you the following benefits:
- Monitor different projects by selecting the URL that interests you and the keywords for which you want to position in Google.
- Searches must be done manually. This may be a bit slower, however it allows you to be more precise.
- You can export the data in CSV format.
If you prefer to have an application on your desktop that helps you manage the position of your web pages in Google, here are some alternatives for you to consider.
The negative part is that it is necessary to download and install them on our computer.
In return, these tools bring us some quite interesting function compared to other online tools that we will see below:
A free application that allows you to monitor my web position in the search engine.
With this tool you can check the position in Google of several of your websites at the same time, which saves a lot of work.
On the other hand, when doing a search, I can see the top 50 positions that are competing with our own website.
Rankerizer is an application that is installed on your computer with which you can:
- The application offers you the position of your website in google for each keyword, the url that is in that position and if the position has changed with respect to the previous search
- Monitor the position of the keywords for which you want to position yourself
- It offers the possibility of monitoring not only Google, but also Yahoo and Bing and selecting the country from which you want to search
- You can track the evolution of the positions of each keyword on your website over time using a simple graph
- You can track the keywords of multiple projects
Relatively new desktop app that has become very popular:
Since SERPoscope is completely free, you can search for any keyword and any website you want without any limits. It is a very useful tool when knowing my position in Google for large web pages.
This program or software automatically searches all websites for a specific keyword, retrieves a competitor's ranking history at any time.
SERPoscope manages to perform searches from a given city or country and provide local search results.
If you plan to control your clients' keywords, you have the ability to create user accounts and limit them to a specific set of keywords.
CuteRank is another program that indicates the web position in google. Its main characteristics are:
It allows you to add notes and visually examine how the position of your keywords is evolving over time using graphs
It is created to check keyword positions automatically in various search engines like Google, Yahoo and Bing among others.
Show detailed history of keyword rankings in different search engines for your website.
Allows you to export keyword positions in PDF or HTML formats for future use, showing it to other people or combination with other tools
In case you don't know Search Console is the new name of Google Webmaster Tools .
If you do not have Search Console installed on your website or blog, I recommend that you do so as soon as possible as it offers a large amount of very useful information about your website.
Among the fantastic information that you can obtain from this tool is not only the position that your keywords occupy in search engines, but also a breakdown of the positions that those keywords have occupied and occupy over time with information that is so important for SEO. such as the CTR ( «Click Through Rate» ) or the times that your website has appeared in search engines (Impressions).
If you look closely at the image above you will see that the “position” section has decimal numbers. This is because the information they are giving you is an average. For example, if we take the first result of the image and break down the position for which we have appeared in Google, we can see this:webmaster tools
The keyword for which my blog appears in the average position 7.4 has appeared over the last 28 days in positions 2,3,4,5 from 6 to 10 and on the second and third page of Google . It is currently quite stable in position 3, as can be seen by the large volume of impressions that this keyword has in that position.
All this information is very useful to check the evolution that your keywords have in the SERP or results of the first page of Google.
One of the main functions that they have in terms of knowing your position in Google, is to be able to identify the origin of the traffic that visits your website, therefore you will be able to obtain information on what type of keywords users come to your website with.
You also have information about the domains that are linking to your website and a detail of the internal link structure within your page.
Search Console is also the fastest method to know if your website has been manually penalized by Google after a review, this is very helpful since it allows you to observe the error and from there be able to work to solve the problem that you have. could cause the penalty as soon as possible.
Google Search Console allows you to view your pages as they are displayed to the general public, when they search.
It shows information about the possible errors of the meta descriptions and also of the titles.
Finally, this section can help you detect any type of duplicate content.
Now is your turn. Start monitoring the web position that your keywords occupy in search engines and thus you will be taking the first step to create a truly effective content marketing strategy with which you can improve your web positioning , visits and therefore sales.
I say goodbye thanking you for the visit, if you have come this far, I would really appreciate it if you would leave a comment so I can greet you and if you know of any other tool to know the web position in Google, please share it with a comment.