This article will give you interesting statistics for those who want to start trading online .
By 2040, studies estimate that 95% of purchases will be made online. Indeed, with the development of internet sales, e-commerce statistics demonstrate the success of this approach. In 2017, online sales generated $2.3 billion . This number continues to increase every year.
- But, why is online presence so relevant for businesses?
- Is this a relevant strategy for your business?
- What is the behavior of Internet users in the face of these sales?
- China: $672 billion
- United States: $340 billion
- UK: $99 billion
- Japan: $79 billion
- Germany: $73 billion
- France: $43 billion
- South Korea: $37 billion
- Canada: $30 billion
- Russia: $20 billion
- Brazil: $19 billion
- In 2040, 95% of global purchases will be made online.
- At European level, France is the second market for e-commerce sales.
- Worldwide, the French market is fifth.
- In 2020, there are more than 190,000 sites .
- 2019 saw the birth of 25,000 sites, an increase of 15% compared to the previous year.
- Every year, consumers spend an average of €450.
- Men are more spenders than women with a difference of 68% between the two sexes.
- The environmental criterion is taken into account for 53% of users .
- E-commerce selling is popular with Generation X.
- People spend an average of 5 hours a week shopping on the internet.
- 71% of users are convinced that they find better prices online than in physical stores.
- 95% of Internet users read consumer reviews before making a purchase.
The absence of reviews does not reassure prospects. 95% consider this suspicious.
The global turnover will exceed 100 billion euros.
During the Christmas holidays, 20 billion euros are spent every year with an average of 171 euros per basket.
- 19.8 billion euros for tourism: between 2018 and 2019, the amount increased by 9%.
- 6.7 billion euros in consumer goods, with 5.4 billion euros spent on Drive races.
- Clothing generated 3.9 billion euros.
- 3.2 billion euros were spent on technology and household items.
- Household products represent 1.7 billion euros .
- The furniture meanwhile amounted to 1.3 billion euros .
To summarize, the most purchased products are clothing, shoes and accessories (47%), computers and electronic devices (32%), books, films, music (28%), beauty products and health (24%).
Consumers adopt different behaviors:
- 8 out of 10 seniors , i.e. 65 and over, buy online.
- 55% of sales are made online compared to 45% in physical stores.
13.8 million French people have already made a purchase on the internet from a smartphone.
56% of consumers make their purchase from their smartphone.
56% track their package on mobile.
52% research and locate a store.
38% compare prices and consult available information.
- 43% of shoppers said they bought from their bed.
- 23% make purchases at work.
- 20% prefer their bathroom or car when shopping online.
- 10% of customers say they have made their purchases while intoxicated.
- 42% of customers say they regret their purchase.
- 85% of customers start their customer journey on one device and complete their purchase on another device.
- For paid ads on Google, the 3 expressions most used by companies are “Free shipping”, “Cheap” and “Best price”.
- 92% of buyers prefer to buy from a site that offers an easy and fast return policy.
- 65% of French people consider free delivery as a determining factor in making a decision.
- 85% of consumers like to have it delivered to their home.
- 74% of customers pick up their orders in-store or at a nearby pick-up point.
- 57% of users attach great importance to transaction security.
- 47% make personal data security a point of honor.
- In Europe, e-commerce reviews relate to delivery times, technical faults and damaged items.
- 89% of Internet users say they have stopped buying online because of customer service.
- 2 out of 5 people enjoy exchanging through a chatbot.
- In 2019, 16.27 million people use their mobile.
- 75% of Chinese sales in 2019 were made via smartphones.
- When brands and companies adapt their site to mobile and voice search, they have the power to increase their turnover by 30% .
- 81% of e-commerce users say they use their smartphone before making a purchase.
- 39.3% of millennials use voice assistants on their mobile devices. Of these users, 40% have already made a purchase through voice command.
- Shopping and groceries account for 20% of e-commerce voice commands. 8% represent fashion and clothing.
- 4 out of 10 users have already used voice commands to make an online purchase.
- 56% of people under 35 make their purchase using their smartphone.
- Despite mobile shopping exploding, 76% of mobile shoppers shop from home.
- 18% of Gen Y and Z users like being able to buy from a game console.
- 30% of online shoppers say they can order from a social network.
- Instagram network users spend the most time on online stores. Average session length is 192 seconds, double that of Facebook and triple that of Pinterest.
- Sales on social networks have increased by 93% in the last 5 years.
- 74% of Internet users rely on their social networks to make their purchasing decisions and know the opinion of customers.
- 56% of users who follow brands on social networks do so to see the products.
- In Southeast Asia, network shopping accounts for 30% of all online sales.
- Mobile shoppers who read reviews on social networks like Instagram and Facebook show conversion rates of up to 133% .
- E-commerce sites get traffic through organic search. This represents 40% . Referral traffic and paid traffic attract 9% of traffic. It is therefore essential for websites to develop and work on SEO, also known as natural referencing.
- The online stores receiving the most traffic thanks to SEO are in the United States (43%), the United Kingdom (7%), Germany (6%), France (4.5%) and India (4%).
- 78% of users want to access more images.
- 30% of Internet users want to watch more videos.
- 70% of online shoppers zoom in on images before placing an order. This is the best way to get an idea of the product.
- 33% of consumers abandon the cart if the price is displayed in a different currency.
- 57% have already ordered on a foreign platform.
- Adapting the language of Internet users is an essential step in gaining the trust of prospects. 78% of online consumers trust an online store translated into their language.
- 60% of customers say they prefer access to self-service digital tools.
- Live chat is an essential element for online customers.
- Internet users wait an average of 11 minutes before giving up or hanging up.
- 75% of users would like to receive help in less than 5 minutes.
- Chatbots allow customers to have an answer and help in less than 45 seconds.
- Studies indicate that in 2020, 80% of companies will use this approach to improve customer service.
- 20% of mobile searches on Google are done through voice searches.
- In 2020, there are 21.4 million smart speakers.
- 22% of smart speaker owners have purchased products through this device.
- Last year, voice commerce sales reached $1.8 billion.
Personalization helps create a personal experience for each customer.
- 22% of consumers show their satisfaction with the personalization of the approach.
- This technique increases profits by 15%.
- 75% of Internet users say they are more likely to buy from an online store that personalizes its approach.
- 93% of companies observe an increase in the conversion rate.
With this approach, customers can shop on different platforms. According to a study, here is the distribution according to the habits of Internet users:
- 56% of sales are made in physical stores.
- 34% on the website.
- Pop-up shops, events and markets represent 26% of sales.
- 40% on social networks.
- 16% for Amazon sales.
- Others ( 22% with eBay, Alibaba, Etsy).
Regarding e-commerce, several information must be taken into account to ensure the success of your business. But, these figures also make it possible to understand what is the behavior of Internet users. With these different statistics, adapt your approach and your strategy according to the objectives of your business and your target.